RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
April 21, 2014, 02:02:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision after VP Shunt  (Read 2778 times)
Ritzog
Dendrite

« on: August 21, 2009, 09:44:29 AM »

Hiya

I am waiting to have a VP Shunt fitted and was wondering what difference the shunt has made to peoples vision. 

I have very bad visual field loss in my left eye, discs are both enlarged/swollen, although margins are only slightly blurred.

My vision is very cloudy/blurred in my left eye which is moving accross my eye, it started in the corner and in a month has almost covered my eye,  It also feels as if i have grit in the back of my eye at times, like something is rubbing.

Please let me know your experiences of VP shunt.

Many thanks

Tracey
Lyn
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »

Tracey

When first diagnosed 19 yrs ago I had an LP shunt, my eyesight at that time was bad - total blindness at times, loss of peripheral vision and massive blind spots, that all went once I had the shunt although my general sight deterioration, i.e. glasses prescription didn't regain much but then I had been very high pressure with 2/3 weekly LP's for about 4mths.
Last op, VP shunt, I had been shuntless for 6 wks and in that time was already losing sight totally at times, post VP shunt that went.
So in answer to your question, I think we are all different but in general the main sight deficiencies do recover.
Good luck with the op.

Lyn
Ritzog
Dendrite

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:11:26 PM »

Hi Lyn

Many thanks for replying. I agree that everyone is different with this, but hopefully my eyesight will improve once shunt has been put in.

Which did you prefer the LP shunt or VP shunt. I opted for the VP shunt as Neuro surgeon did say it was his preference due to problems with LP.

Many thanks

Tracey
Lyn
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:03:17 PM »

That's a tricky one, I had an LP shunt although the 1st one failed within weeks the second one lasted for 17 years and for those years I had no idea there was anything wrong with me I felt great until the LP shunt started overdraining and it was removed. Since the VP shunt I have not felt as well but it seems that is down to having an LP shunt for so long (I can't have another because of other complications). The LP shunt I had (this was years ago so obviously it wasn't as clever as those installed now) drained continuously, the VP shunt is on settings and even on the lowest it isn't low enough for me as my body had got used to having such a low pressure for so long so I still suffer problems, I have a surgeons appointment in 6 weeks to see what they can do.

Don't let my story put you off as a newbie it will suit you fine. The only thing I did find hard was the emotional aspect of it, I find I can't forget the VP shunt as when you wash or brush you hair it is there whereas the LP shunt is hidden, that took me a while to get used to again also it's that whole I've had brain surgery thing, it kind of makes you look at life differently which in hindsight isn't a bad thing. Through the forum I have met up with others who have only ever had a VP shunt and I don't think they faced the same issues it was just me having got used to the LP shunt and having hidden my condition for years.

Whatever problems I have had I would never be shuntless, I was for 6 weeks while they deliberated if I still had IIH and it was the worse time of my life and even now I know I am luckier than others, it's just with me I know I felt 100% with my LP shunt and I intend to feel that way again even if it means another op.

Lyn
lyeska
Nuclei

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:18:25 AM »

My vision in my left eye was almost gone as well.  I regained the vision in about a week maybe 2.   am loving my VP.  Good luck
~D~

Life isn't always a party, so you might as well dance while you are here.
emmaokane
Nuclei

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:27:40 AM »

hi tracey, i have 2 vp shunts the first was put in dec 08,which failed after a week,another was put in again this failed,so they revised it again only to find that the pressures were still very high so i had my fourth shunt op in early march this year,four ops in the space of months does take it out of you i can tell you lol!! the vision side of things my vision was quite bad i had very bad peripheral vision in the left eye it was like a grey mist and i would quite often get visual obscurations i.e.complete blindness for a couple of seconds normally when bending over or strangely sneezing dont know what that was about Smiley: huh? like you i was getting that same gritty feeling in my eyes too as if there was glass in them and i would also get quite severe stabbing pains behind my eyes.the opthamologist said that my perscription had detiorated to the degree that i was advised against driving and that i had grosely swollen discs he said they were some of the worst he had ever seen and that i had been very lucky not to have already gone blind.after they had sorted my shunts out and graudually after a couple of months the pain in my eyes did start to reduce,the greyness has almost gone im left with a blind spot im aware of it but im used to it now,i am struggling with my vision especially at night watching telly and as i get tired it seems ti get worsebut they are going to keep trying different glasses but like they said its not my eye as such its the optic nerve.the swelling has almost gone in both eyes just the left is dragging behind that has taken longer than i expected to get better but i have been told that its normal whenyour pressures have been so high for so long its takes a while for the nerves to adjust to the new pressure.hope i havent bored you too much good luck with your shunt operation i hope it works for you and you are headache free soon best wishes emma xx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: