RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
November 01, 2014, 12:34:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: has anyone with a V.P shunt flown ?  (Read 4330 times)
jodunn
Axon

« on: May 25, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »

Hi,
   we have just started planning our next holiday and were wondering if anyone has flown with a V.P shunt and what are the feelings and effects of flying? Our son is 5 yrs old and has had a shunt for the last 2 years.

Thanks  Smiley: cool smiley
meggymoo
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »

Hiya I have a vp shunt and I have flown 6 times so far and have only had the shunt a year and a half. A couple of times I got shooting pains in my head but apart from that I was fine!

Good Luck!

heart Megan
Floyd
Neuron

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:40:01 AM »

Hi there  Smiley: smiling  I've had a V.P shunt for just over a year now. I have flown at least 5 times, only 1-2 hr flights, since without any problems at all.
I've only had one flight where I had a problem...and it was my first...post-op.  When I first had my V.P shunt inserted I flew home 12 days after the surgery, firstly I was scared that I would set off the metal detectors at the airport (which I didn't!!) then I was scared that those same detectors would somehow change my shunt setting (which it didn't!!).  But I did end up with a shocking headache, requiring morphine for pain...but it wasn't because I had a V.P shunt...it was because I'd undergone surgery.  I have to say anxiety levels for my next flight were pretty darn high, and I thought I'd never fly again...but it turned out there was no need for all the worry at all.  I have no problem with flying now, and my only problem with travel now is finding enough money to get me to all the places I want to go!!  I wish you all the best for a happy and safe holiday  Smiley: smiling
jodunn
Axon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »

Hi Megan and Floyd,
 thanks for your replies, we weren't sure if to try to arrange a holiday abroad or not b'cos M wont tell us how he feels for fear of going back to the hospital for more treatment (something we are working on ).

Your comments have given us hope and area great reassurance

Thanks again

Adrian
didles
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »

I have had a long haul flight with my shunt and it was fine (Australia to UK) I am about to be off again but this time I can not go through the metal detectors resetting my shunt valve so this would be something to ask your surgeon mine has also done a letter outlining the details of the shunt and the setting it is on and another letter for security points.

Have fun on your trip.
jodunn
Axon

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »

Thanx for the advise, will get my letters for security organised  and i hope that your flights go smoothly and trouble free Smiley: smiling

Adrian
soupdblu
Nuclei

Feeling good! VA shunts work!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:37 AM »

I have a VA shunt and flew 10 days after surgery... I flew with an lp shunt as well no major problems.. if your son has a programmable  shunt you should have been given a shunt card from your doctor for airport security... Have fun on holiday!

Live life up the octave!
Lyn
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 07:46:10 PM »

I have flown 4 times since my VP shunt with no issues and am flying again on Weds. I set off the alarms at Heathrow but nowhere else so not sure if that was something else not my shunt.

Lyn
didles
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »

Lyn I did the same weird I thought.

Also I don't have a shunt card and never had, I have always had a letter from my doctor. Never had any issues.
Lyn
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »

I didn't have a letter, just said to the security person, I have a magnet in my head - feel it! that did the trick!
jodunn
Axon

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »

thanks folks, does anyone have any info on how to obtain a shuntcard for travelling purposes?

thanks again,

Adrian
didles
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 04:02:27 AM »

There is such thing as a FREMAC card which is for frequent travelers which has everything on record and you and your doctor can change things but as for a card that is something your doctor would have to help you with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: