RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:38:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tender head at base of skull( behind ears)  (Read 39484 times)
vih
Neuron

« on: December 26, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »

Hello, i am new to the site and have spent a while reading through the many posts. It has been very helpful to me hear the experiences of others with this condition. I havent had a confirmed diagnosis as yet, although the doctors suspect that the LP i am due to have in the new year will confirm their suspicions. I was wondering if anyone had experienced soreness/pressure at the base of the skull ( behind the ear region) which creates a radiating pain from the ear. I seem to have this permanently now. (The same tenderness also seems to come and go in other spots all over my head) my symptoms began with severe dizzy spells which turned into a on/off head rushing feeling and tingling/pins needles all over my body. I have headaches every few days which feel like migranes and a distant/spaced out sort of feeling. There was evidence of papllidema found in my left eye at the start but this seems to come and go as another doctor could not see it only days later. Would anyone know if this is normal? is it linked to the onset of headaches? any help and advice would be appreciated. best wishes victoria
Rose
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:43:29 PM »

Hi Victoria and welcome to the forum just sorry you had to find us like this.  Yes what you are feeling seems to be normal for IIH though each of us is different a lot of us have the same symptoms. The tender head at the back is something I get and it radiates down into the neck and round to the temples.

As for the papillodema coming and going you have to remember that this is not something doctors usually see (which is why lots of doctors want to gaze lovingly into your eyes - the most I managed was 24 students in one day).  So sometimes one may see it and another may not in the same way that my visual field tests are always different even though I have them every 3 months or so.  If the pressure which shows up as pap is putting pressure on the optic nerve it can give you dizzy spells and cause the headaches.

We cannot advise you only give you the wealth of our own experiences.  I personally find that something warm against my head where its the sorest sometimes eases the pain - others prefer cold in the same way.

Try typing key words into the search box and see what that brings up for you, there are lots of things to read on the forum....

Let us know how you get on and good luck with the LP.

Rosey

gingerbreadgirl
Plexus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »

Hi Victoria,  Smiley: upside down waving smiley

As Rosey says, everyone has different symptoms so there is no real definition of 'normal'.

I get a pressure feeling at the base of my skull and it has it's own 'beat'. This is normally accompanied by a strange feeling in my neck and a creaky, grindy noise when I move my head around, and often a popping noise as well.

I also have stabbing feelings at several points in my head and the left side of my face feels numb. If I do anything too quickly (get up, go upstairs) I get an amazing head-rush dizzy feeling and lose my balance.  faint

Hope this helps. Good luck with the LP. Remember to stay relaxed and drink loads of fluids after. Let us know how you get on,

Gina. x  hug

noxhanti
Hypothalamus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26:52 AM »

Similar to Gina but without the "beat". I have sore inner ears at the moment but without the pulsatile tinnitus like it used to be or  rather I can feel it but not really hear it.

"I can be changed by what happens to me. but I refuse to be reduced by it."

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."

Maya Angelou
Preethi
Neuron

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

Hello, i am new to the site and have spent a while reading through the many posts. It has been very helpful to me hear the experiences of others with this condition. I havent had a confirmed diagnosis as yet, although the doctors suspect that the LP i am due to have in the new year will confirm their suspicions. I was wondering if anyone had experienced soreness/pressure at the base of the skull ( behind the ear region) which creates a radiating pain from the ear. I seem to have this permanently now. (The same tenderness also seems to come and go in other spots all over my head) my symptoms began with severe dizzy spells which turned into a on/off head rushing feeling and tingling/pins needles all over my body. I have headaches every few days which feel like migranes and a distant/spaced out sort of feeling. There was evidence of papllidema found in my left eye at the start but this seems to come and go as another doctor could not see it only days later. Would anyone know if this is normal? is it linked to the onset of headaches? any help and advice would be appreciated. best wishes victoria
Hi, I have just joined this forum. I have a very similar condition. I have not consulted a doctor. But is this serious and does it need medical care. I thought this was just a bad sleep position or something like that.
Jackie B
Nuclei

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »

Hi Victoria,

I have a tender head at different places and it can be difficult to brush my hair as it hurts. As the others have said we have all got symptoms that can affect us the same or differently. Have a good look around the forum it has helped me a great deal Smiley: smiling Smiley: smiling

Jackie x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: