RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
October 24, 2014, 05:48:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VP Shunt Surgery - Recovery  (Read 16093 times)
wylee
Nuclei

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 04:30:17 AM »

What is the recovery time after having a vp shunt installed?  Once they let you go home, do you need someone there to help you get about or can you go home by yourself?
I live alone and am wondering if I would need a nurse to come in.
TRINITY1
FLUID

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »

Hi Wylee

As you can see I have done a bit of a search and merged your topic with some much older ones re VP shunt surgery that I found. It was hard work though as you said. It seems no one has asked this question in a long time!

Sometimes a post doesn't get answered because no one who has read it can answer it. The people who could answer have not been on the fourm and then older posts then get 'lost' amongst all the others. It can be a good idea to 'bump' it by asking again.

Hope some of the above helps?

Take good care  hug
mel31
Ganglion

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »

What is the recovery time after having a vp shunt installed?  Once they let you go home, do you need someone there to help you get about or can you go home by yourself?
I live alone and am wondering if I would need a nurse to come in.

Hi,

I had my vp shunt op on Thursday 9th June ( nearly 3 weeks ago) and I was in hospital until the following Tuesday.
I went home Tuesday, and on the Wednesday I was out in town shopping and going for coffee with my other half.
I felt 100 times better than I thought I would!
My other half had booked the week off work to look after me, but I didn't need it at all. I had regular rests, but I felt brilliant.
I know everyone is different, but that's my experience.

Mel x
Fifi
Nuclei

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »

Hi,

I must have missed your question originally as I would have answered if I'd seen it.  I know that there aren't as many people with VP shunts around so all the info you can get even though I can't specifically answer if you will be allowed home if you live on your own.

I had my VP shunt fitted in Feb 2010.  I was in hospital for 5 days after the operation, mainly due to abdominal pain and them not liking wanting to discharge me on a weekend. 

Once I was home I was able to get around ok. I didn't suffer too badly from low pressure headaches just found that I got tired very quickly.  I didn't feel as if I needed anyone at home with me although I'm can't remember whether they asked me if I had anyone.  My husband took some time off but he got under my feet so I soon sent him back to work  laughing 

Stomach was definately more painful than the head.  My head just felt a bit numb to the touch but the surgeon told me it could take up to about 12 months to get the feeling back.

I went back to work after about 4 weeks albeit on a phased reduced hours basis. 

Hope some of this helps.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: