RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
July 29, 2014, 05:36:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weight loss after LP shunt  (Read 2711 times)
twisted_donut
Ganglion

« on: May 24, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

Hi all,

I'm due to have my LP shunt soon and was just wondering (because I'm a little unsure of how it works..) does losing weight after having  the LP shunt fitted affect the position of the tubing? i.e does it move etc

Not that I'm planning on losing any weight     grin

hugz Dee x

I don't spring clean cos I don't want
the other seasons to get jealous!
Emma.x
Thalamus

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »

I have a VP shunt (the tubing still goes to the same place as a LP shunt). I've lost about 2 stone in the past couple of months and my tubing has changed position. It's not caused too much concern except is started proding things it shouldn't be.

However, the neurosurgeon said it's very rare and that I shouldn't be put off losing any more weight. Hopefully things will settle down.

Good luck with your surgery.

Life is what you make it!
Lyn
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

I also lost 2st after my LP shunt and had no problems. In fact after 18yrs the L part was removed but the P part is still in as after so long it had got cosy and didn't want to come out.
Lyn
pink lady
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »

Hi Dee

I have a VP shunt too and the tube in my stomach cavity is free floating, so can move around if necessary.  My surgeon told me that this was to allow unrestricted movement, rather than attaching it to something, which might then get pulled if I decided to do something strenuous - like gymnastics (as if  laughing)
twisted_donut
Ganglion

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:03:50 PM »

thank you for your answers and I thought...                 No excuses now then, better get down that gym hadn't I!    eek!

hugz x

soupdblu
Nuclei

Feeling good! VA shunts work!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:32:14 AM »

Losing weight won't affect shunt placement at all.  I lost 60 lbs after the shunt was placed.. IH still here to stay... the weight lose didn't affect my disease but
I felt better about myself!  I lost it about 15 yrs ago and have still kept 40 of it off... going to need a new shunt though....

Live life up the octave!
twisted_donut
Ganglion

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:27:29 PM »

Well done with your weight loss, a pity a new shunt is needed but I guess you've had it some time now.

The more I read and the more I know about my own body I'm really not convinced that weight has anything to do with IIH, I'm open to persuasion though   laughing

A few years back I was treated for hormone imbalance which to me is nearer the mark, maybe.. Smiley: unsure

x

soupdblu
Nuclei

Feeling good! VA shunts work!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »

Funny you should mention hormonal imbalance.. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 yeas old... I haven't had a period that wasn't chemically manufactured since then... I'm curious as to how any others have also been diagnosed with PCOS?  The good thing about no periods is also no PMS!  You gotta get some perks once in awhile! grin

Live life up the octave!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: