RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:41:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swollen Tummy After LP Shunt Operation  (Read 4513 times)
Karen12
Hypothalamus

« on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Me AGAIN!!  Sorry about all these questions I keep asking, but Im new to all this shunt business so I need some guidance and re-assurance.

Was wondering if it was normal to have quite a swollen tummy around where the shunt was inserted?  I had the operation on 19 Dec, so its not been two weeks yet, but my stomach is still pretty swollen since the operation.  I can't get any jeans or normal trousers on - only joggers! (my new year outfit is going to look amazing, isnt it!??)

I know its still early days so Im sure the swelling is fine, but I just wanted to check it was normal.  As how do I know if its still just swelling from the operation or perhaps something more serious like the fluid collecting in my stomch and not draining away properly.

Thanks
Karen
LG
Plexus

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »

I was in joggers for about 3/4 weeks after my original op

I'd say the swelling is normal you've been poked, prodded and pulled about quite a bit.

If it's fluid collecting in your stomach it'll be hard (mines was like a golf ball under the skin)

However, if in doubt give the surgeon a ring

Lilias xx

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.
sezza122
Thalamus

Hi all xx

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »

I didnt really have any swelling after my surgery as such but I have had CSF leaks several times and like Lillias says, if its a fluid collection, it will be hard hun.  Definately get it checked out if you are worried and ask them for an ultra sound as well as an X ray because X-rays dont pick it up xxxx

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.
Karen12
Hypothalamus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 03:13:26 PM »

Hi,

Glad Im not the only one that can't wear anything but Joggers!

My tummy is really soft and squidzy so Im sure it is just swelling from the surgery.  I have an appt with my GP next week anyway so if Im still concerned then I can discuss it with them.

Thanks guys  Smiley: smiling

Karen
Karen12
Hypothalamus

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »

When you say your stomachs got really hard, do you mean a large area got hard? Since lying down and feeling along my tummy wound underneath the scar feels really hard and I don't know if this is just normal for a scar? There is also a hard lump at the scar on my side too?
didles
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 04:36:03 AM »

Jogger go on your feet it's trackies your talking about yeah? lol Had to say it you english lot can't even speak the language

*and ducking     Now! lol

no LP shunt here but with my VP shunt's I was swollen, give a little time and watch your temp and if the area gets red, but if you are concerned get it checked out yeah?
sezza122
Thalamus

Hi all xx

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »

Karen hunni .... I have to be honest and say that how you just described your tummy is how mine was when I had a CSF leak. Please go to your GP hun and ask for them to do an urgent ultra sound ... that way, if your results come back saying you have fluid there then you can be referred urgently to the surgeon.  Or, go to A&E and explain .... but definately request an ultra sound!! 

When my tummy was like that I went to A&E and my surgeon came down and had a feel etc and he said "I promise you its nothing, Its definately just scar tissue"  I asked him to do an ultra sound for my piece of mind and so he did and there was fluid there .... he was so sorry for doubting me and within 3 hours I was in surgery having it revised!!!

XXXX

LG
Plexus

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »

Snap with Sarah

Ask for ultrasound if only to ease your mind.

Diana.....English....English us Scots wis being posh saying joggers we wid normally say joggies. Trackies is made frae shell suit type material, joggies is sweatpants

Jings crivens help ma boab

Karen12
Hypothalamus

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »

Thanks for your advice.

I dont feel ill at all or in pain whatsoever so Im reluctant to do anything about this today as the last thing I want is to be taken into hospital etc.  I presume that if it was fluid collecting then the lump would get bigger??  I will keep an eye on it and keep checking its size.  The lump is not sticking out I can only feel it under my skin and thats is what is making me think its just scar tissue.

Karen x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: