RSS icon Subscribe to our "new posts" feed in a reader | RSS icon Subscribe to our "forum news" in a reader

IIH International Support Forum. Support. Advice. Information. Set up a direct debit JustGiving

IIH Support Forum
October 23, 2014, 12:02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when do the doctors decide......  (Read 2110 times)
kellyjo
Ganglion

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 08:46:56 AM »

Dont shy away from shunts folks, I got mine in April and it was one of the best things ive done. Within 48 hours my eyesight was perfect again (id lost a lot of peripheral and had intermittent total loss) and after 7 bad days while my head adjusted to its new pressure, another week and I was good as new. I had it adjusted a few weeks later which was pretty horrid for a few days but on a day-to-day basis my iih is almost forgotten.

Id rather have the surgery and a few weeks unpleasant recovery than be continually pumping my body with drugs with a multitude of side-effects.

Obviously we are all different and have different symptoms and requirements so I understand shunts arent for everyone. But I also know how scary they sound beforehand, and what amazing results they can have.

KJ xx
TammyUK
Hypothalamus

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »

A shunt has never been discussed with me... from what I can gather they are normally used as the last route to go down when nothing else works xxx
Toni
IIH UK Ambassadors

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »

I have said this many times - but my shunt has changed my life. It gave me my sight back and virtually no headaches for 6 years.

I dread to think where I would be now if I'd never had one put in.

Without fear and illness, I could never have accomplished all I have.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.
sezza122
Thalamus

Hi all xx

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »

I have had a mixed experience where shunts are concerned.  My vp shunt is great but if found the lp shunt to be nothing but trouble.  I definately agree with Toni though, shunts are fantastic when they are working. xxx

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: